Yankee One Design Y14 GADFLYMalletts Bay, Lake Champlain
About Y14 Gadfly
Y14 GADFLY is currently in very good condition. For the past few decades, GADFLY has been sailing on Lake Champlain, in Vermont.
Gary Ryan has owned GADFLY since 2012. Previous to Gary, Y14 was named HONEY and was with one family for decades.
Prior to being shipped to Vermont, Y14 GADFLY sailed in Buzzards Bay for many years, as part of the Beverly Yacht Club fleet of Yankees.
I’m the current owner of Y14 formerly Snow White,Gadfly, and most recently, Honey. The previous owner asked me to to remove the name from the boat as it was a personal name. I just call her Y14.
After purchasing her in 2012 I did some extensive work on her and sailed her that season.
The following year I got up enough energy to launch my other boat. It is a 1968 Rhodes Reliant 41′ Yawl. Both boats have been been in storage for the last two seasons. I have been contemplating what to do with my boats. Looks like I’m going to find a new home for the Yankee. Not feeling like I want to put her up for public sale though. Would rather see her get the best possible home through connections such as the Yankee site.
She is in excellent condition and could be sailed with some maintenance to her planked hull. Cosmetics and running gear are excellent. I built a steel cradle for her to make transport with a pickup truck possible. I would value her at 20k.
Her equipment is short being a daysailor. New painted steel cradle, Yamaha outboard, interior and cockpit cushions. Good clean main and Jib. No spinnaker gear. Self-tailing winches. Excellent varnish, topsides and deck. No rot or corrosion. No broken frames.
When I purchased her there had been an insurance claim due to a grounding. It as assumed that she was going to need the keel replaced. While still sailable she was leaking badly when heeled over. After some dissection I discovered no structural damage.
What I did find was the keel was extremely loose. Her floors were tired and compressed with keel bolts loose. In retrospect I could have probably tightened the bolts, done some calking and gone sailing. I love a good project so I dove in and replaced all the major floors did some quick calking and went sailing. Some large batteries and bilge pumps kept her floating on my mooring for the summer. I’m confident she can be made very tight with a bit more work fore and aft of the keel and a new bottom.
– Gary Ryan